Friday, 3 August 2012
The very best brownies.
These brownies will change your life. They will induce chocolate comas and bring marriages back together (cannot guarantee), they will cost a lot of money due to an excessive number of chocolate bars but they will be worth it. No question. Bake them, bring them to a friend in need, eat them at midnight in front of Teen Mom 2, share them with your family and watch their faces lighten and their waist bands tighten, just do it. Preferably soon.
What makes these brownies such special brownies (besides the weed), is the amount of chocolate involved. There's 400g of dark chocolate, extra cocoa, and big chunks of white chocolate. They are gooey and chewy and deliciously moreish. The cooling time of 2 hours will be absolute torture. A hot one can't hurt.
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping.
400g plain chocolate
225g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g chunks white chocolate
25g cocoa powder
75g self-raising flour
3 large eggs
- preheat the oven to 170°C and line an 8 inch square shallow cake tin with baking parchment.
- melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- remove from heat and stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa, flour, eggs and white chocolate.
- pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface with a spoon.
- bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until set on the surface but still soft underneath.
- leave to cool in the tin for 2 hours and then cut into squares.
- dust with icing sugar and serve.